Friday, July 10, 2009

“The Economics Of Fast Food”




chit-chat from the Chainsaw--
an irregular feature
by a. cerda






As a Dollar Menuaire, the McDouble pisses me off. And not just because it robs me of an extra piece of cheese. It’s because… well, okay, it’s because it robs me of an extra piece of cheese. But I refuse to be hoodwinked by the clown. Why does getting that extra piece of cheese cost me 19 cents when a regular cheeseburger only costs 10 cents more than a regular hamburger?

The math doesn’t add up, especially the more you break it down. Okay, let’s assume each slice of cheese really costs 19 cents. Now a McDouble is only a penny more than a regular cheeseburger. That means each patty only costs a penny. So that leaves 79 cents covering the bun, pickle, ketchup, mustard, and whatever other condiments they throw on there.

Now, we know condiments really can’t cost much otherwise restaurants and sporting venues across the nation wouldn’t offer them so freely. Let’s give an estimate of about 10 cents for condiments. Now, we’re down to 69 cents for bun and pickle.


An 8-pack of hamburger buns generally goes for about $1.50, meaning each bun is about 19 cents. If my math is correct (which it is, unlike my logic), that means the pickle is costing me about 50 cents. That’s outrageous! Especially since I order mine without a pickle. I want my 50 cents back, clown.

By the way, why is it that two 4-piece pack of chicken nuggets is not only cheaper than one 6-piece pack, but you also end up getting two sauces instead of one? Maybe if McDonalds wasn’t losing money hand over fist in the McNugget department, they could put the double cheeseburger back on the dollar menu.


from the McDonald's official Web site FAQ:
"What if I order a McDouble with an extra slice of cheese. Then it would only be $1, right?
No. If you order the McDouble with an extra slice of cheese, you will be charged for the extra slice of cheese. Nice try, though!"

(Ed. Why the dickish tone?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

Buffalo, NY, United States
I am an online journalist/blogger/ freelance writer with a strong background in science and deep interest in indie rock.